Friday, September 29, 2006

Classroom Blogs: Examples

I'll start with a quote from a 5th grader.
"I think my writing has got way better then when I started. Even my readers have noticed.I hated writing so much, but now that I know how to wright better I am liking it."
The essence of blogging is engaging kids in critical reading and thinking and then asking them to clearly communicate their thoughts. I encourage you to browse the blogs created by these 5th grade students, who were guided by educator Anne Davis. The student blog entries are reflections on their learning about writing. This is an example of students thinking and writing about blogs; both how to use them and how to better communicate through writing.

Here are some more examples of classroom blogs:
  • The Secret Life of Bees is an online reader's guide to the book, created by high school students, and guided by educator Will Richardson. This is a stellar example of a blog being used as a collaborative space.
  • Blogical Minds is a forum for 5th grade students to write about what they learned in class. Another spectacular example, from Anne Davis, that illustrates how blogging can capture teacher and student reflection on the process of learning. Check out this web quest teaching elementary students how to blog: Blogging: It's Elementary!
  • AP Calculus AB is brought to us by Mr. Kuropatwa and his AP Caluculus high school students (and parents!). They document their learning by explaining concepts to peers or reflecting on personal struggles with mastering concepts. This is peer-to-peer help at its best!
  • Mrs. Cassidy's Classroom Blog gives parents curriculum updates and highlights her first and second graders' work.
  • Mrs. Britton has introduced her class to the basics of writing a blog entry and commenting by having each student write a riddle describing a literary character.
  • ResearchFun! is a blog I set up in support of a 3rd grade class doing a research question-of-the-week.
  • These are just a few examples. Please send us yours!

1 Comments:

Blogger janet reid said...

I love your ReseachFun! blog. What a great idea!

3:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home